I am rabid, therefore, I bite.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

A word (and a phrase) a day

I was leafing through a vendor's proposal today and came across this word: successfulness

My first thoughts were that this couldn't be an actual word, but dictionary.com soon proved me wrong:

Successfulness - n : the condition of prospering; having good fortune [syn: prosperity]

It seems like quite an auspicious word!

Hmm, learn new word already, must use! So I wish all my friends & relatives "Successfulness in the Year of the Dog" :) Let's share a Successfulness pizza and enjoy our new year! :P

I learnt a new phrase from the S.O. today as well (smart arse that he is): Cogito ergo sum

It translates literally (in Latin) to "I think, therefore I am". The full phrase is actually (warning: LONG!):

"But I have convinced myself that there is absolutely nothing in the world, no sky, no earth, no minds, no bodies. Does it now follow that I too do not exist? No: if I convinced myself of something [or thought anything at all] then I certainly existed. But there is a deceiver of supreme power and cunning who is deliberately and constantly deceiving me. In that case I too undoubtedly exist, if he is deceiving me; and let him deceive me as much as he can, he will never bring it about that I am nothing so long as I think that I am something. So, after considering everything very thoroughly, I must finally conclude that the proposition, I am, I exist, is necessarily true whenever it is put forward by me or conceived in my mind."

So, if Descartes is to be believed, if I think, if I am aware of my surroundings - I exist. Ah, the power of thought.

Conversely, once I act like a brainless bozo and do things without a second thought and with nary a care about my surroundings - I don't exist? (Actually, this does make sense. e.g. One day, Mr. Someone wanders around aimlessly, walks up a building and saunters off the edge *splat*)

Ah well. I'm getting lost in a haze of confusion so I shall leave you with this Descartes joke (swiped off Wikipedia):

Descartes is sitting in a bar, having a drink. The bartender asks him if he would like another. "I think not," he says, and vanishes in a puff of logic.

Long live smart-arse boyfriends who quote Latin at random and create headaches for their girlfriends :P

2 Comments:

Blogger Sheylara said...

I did a paper on Descartes at Uni. He's a crackpot. Actually, all philosophers are crackpots. But they're undeniably good at twisting logic. Haha. Incidentally, isn't the definition of "successfulness" kind of the same as "success"? Why people like to complicate things har? Sigh.

4:39 PM

 
Blogger elyxia said...

Wooo. I think I would go crazy if I had to write a paper about a philospher. LOL. Reading their works and making sense of them would drive me bonkers :P

I think the definition of "success" & "successful" has more to do with a desired outcome, while "Successfulness" seems to imply prosperity and good fortune.

11:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home