I am rabid, therefore, I bite.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Any xxx for you, miss?

I read an article in The New Paper about being stopped along Orchard Road every 20 steps of the way. Man, those folks haven't seen anything until they've been to Raffles Place!

In the (extremely and excruciatingly) short distance between Raffles Place MRT and Caltex House, I was stopped (accosted) by no less than:

1. 5 flyer distributors
2. 4 promoters (credit card for you, miss?)
3. 3 ppl trying to do a survey (oh, congratulations, you've won our BIG prize for the day!)
4. 2 ppl soliciting for donations (I feel bad about rejecting these kids, but I see them every day now and frankly, I'm not rich enough to donate each time they stop me)
5. And a partridge in a pear tree :p (Haha, you all saw that coming!)

I really feel sorry about those folks that work in Raffles Place and have to put up with this everyday.

And, woe betide those who choose to take a seat at the "walls" bordering the lawn upstairs of Raffles Place. You've just triggered the *easy victim alert* of these promoters, who will zoom straight in, figuring that since you've nothing better to do than to sit there, you have time to listen to their spiel.

Yes, I know these folks have to make a living too. But it really would be nice to get to/from Raffles Place without being badgered every 5 steps of the way.

Wouldn't it be nice?

3 Comments:

Blogger Sheylara said...

LOL. These people are good for one thing. When you're having a particularly bad day, you can take your anger out on them by glaring at them or even scolding them for blocking you. :P

As much as I have sympathy for people doing this kind of work (maybe because they need the money and can't get any other jobs), I feel that this practice just encourages invasive advertising. If SO many people are willing to do the work, more and more such jobs will be created. Innocent passer-bys become the victim and that is BAD.

6:31 PM

 
Blogger elyxia said...

The problem gets especially bad during the holidays because there are heaps of students looking for jobs and I guess many of them aren't fussy and will do these jobs for a relatively low pay.

Sometimes, I don't understand why companies want to take up "advertising strategies" such as these. Sure, it's exposure for their brand. But it also annoys/turns off ppl and that's going to be bad for your brand too.

7:02 PM

 
Blogger Sheylara said...

Well, I suppose flyer advertising does work. If not they won't continue doing it. Maybe they get more customers walking in then customers getting turned off :P

4:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home